Essential Oils 101
A wide variety of Essential Oils are available to promote a healthy lifestyle and create a relaxing and refreshing atmosphere.
Essential Oils derive from plants and are the most natural source available to promote wellness. The use of Essential Oils dates back to ancient Egyptian times and is even referenced in the Bible. Historically used in cosmetics and aromatherapy, Essential Oils have recently have become a growing, popular answer to achieving ideal health and wellness due to their natural therapeutic properties! Essential Oils contain the properties of the plant it was derived from. They are highly concentrated and a little bit goes a long way.
Essential Oils are not the same as fragrances. Where essential oils are derived from plants, fragrance and perfume oils, which are artificially created and contain artificial chemicals. Fragrances may provide a nice smell in your home, but they do not offer the therapeutic benefits that essential oils offer, and in some people, can trigger health issues such as asthma, allergies, and even migraines.
There are numerous single Essential Oils available, each with its own distinct properties and benefits. There are also many blends available. The blends simply keep you from having to purchase several separate oils and blend them yourself if you have a very specific need or goal.
How can you use Essential Oils?
Essential oils can be used topically (often with a carrier oil), during massage, or used in a diffuser.
- Aromatherapy — Essential Oils are used in aromatherapy to help enhance one’s mood, often during a massage therapy session, meditation, etc. Benefits include mood enhancement, improved cognitive function, and overall psychological and physical well-being.
- Diffusing — You will add a specified number of drops to your choice of a diffuser. I have tried several diffusers, and the best results yet have come from those that create a mist vapor. I do recommend steering clear of the candle lit diffusers as some of these can release toxic chemicals. Remember – you get what you pay for. I had a small, cheap diffuser from Wal-Mart and while it did work, I realized that the paint was actually liquefying with the oils and therefore emitting into the air with my oils, totally negating the heath benefits. It is important to use distilled water in your diffuser so that the “hardness” of tap water does not clog or break down the parts.
- Shower or Bath Additive — For a spa-like experience, you can add a few drops of your choice of Essential Oil to your shower/bath water. This is especially helpful for relaxation and wellness.
- Towel/Pad Inhalation — A few drops of Essential Oils can be put onto a towel or cotton pad to experience benefits aromatically.
- Topical Application — Applying Essential Oils topically allows for quick absorption and can be very effective. Common sites are behind the ear and on the bottoms of the feet (see reflexology chart). If you are having a particular ailment, such as a migraine, it is common to apply an oil directly to that area. You should always test a tiny amount of oil on your skin to ensure you do not have an adverse reaction.
There are countless Benefits of Essential Oils including:
(But certainly not limited to!)
- Emotionally and Spiritually Uplifting
- Restoring balance to your body
- Helps relax muscles
- Helps support healthy lung and sinus function
- Supports the immune system
- Supports healthy joint and cartilage function
Sustains blood pressure/cholesterol level that is already within healthyranges
- Supports kidney health and function
- May suppress occasional muscle spasms
- Promotes restful sleep
- Provides nervous system support during times of stress
- Skin Care and Beauty products available
- Safe and healthy addition to promote overall wellness